WordPress widget is user-interactive, easy-to-use WordPress plugin tool that can give a WordPress blog site many handy features. It typically stays at sidebar. Sometimes you will find a widget at header or footer bar.
A fresh-installed WordPress site comes with a handful of pre-loaded widgets. Beyond that, there are more than 16 thousands of widgets listed in WordPress plugin directory. This blog offers some help for a new WordPress widget user to download and install useful WordPress widget.
First of all go to your WordPress dashboard and click on “Plugins” -> “Add New”. You will have option to type in the name of the widget that you would like to download. For example, enter “vocalyze” and search.
On next page you should find the basic information about this widget as well as a tab “Install Now”. Click on “Install Now” to continue.
Depending on your WordPress site host platform, you may see different menus. For example, if you are using Linux, you will be asked to provide ftp username and password.
If you are not sure about ftp username and password, or you see error messages that indicated the widget cannot be installed this way, you can choose another way to download and install the widget. Here is how:
Step 1. Go to WordPress plugin directory page. For example, http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/vocalyze
There is a big “Download” red button on this screen for you to download the widget in the zip format.
Step 2. Click on “Installation” tab and follow the installation instructions provided on that page. I am posting the instructions here for your convenience for Vocalyze widget installation. Different widget may have different instructions.
- Download, unzip, and copy the “vocalyze.php” file to the
- Go to WordPress admin Dashboard, choose “Plugins” => “Installed Plugins”. Activate the “Vocalyze Widget” plugin by clicking on “Activate” link
- On the Dashboard, choose “Appearance” => “Widgets”. Drag and drop the “Vocalyze” to the desired Widget Area, for example, Primary Widget Area.
- Click on the Down arrow of “Vocalyze” bar to open the Vocalyze Widget configuration menu.
- Enter the URL for your blog website in the input box.
- Choose an icon that works the best for your blog theme.
- Click on “Save” to save the configuration.
- Go to your blog website. Now you will be able to see the Vocalyze Widget
To summarize, there are two ways to download and install a WordPress widget
- Use the “Plugins” -> “Add New” tab and follow the instructions. In some situation you need to provide ftp username and password
- Go directly to the WordPress plugin directory http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins. Use the keyword to search and locate the desired widget. Download and unzip the widget. And then follow the instructions provided by the widget.